A Hardworking and Effective Democrat
Monroe County Legislator Rachel Barnhart is a lifelong Democrat who was elected in 2019 and reelected in 2021. She won the primary in 2023 and is the only candidate on the ballot in November. Rachel serves on the Ways and Means and Agenda Charter committees, as well as the Monroe County Planning Board.
As a result of redistricting, Rachel’s new district is Legislative District 17, which covers Browncroft, North Winton Village and a portion of Irondequoit. (Click here for detailed map.)
Monroe County has made great strides in good government under Democratic leadership. Rachel is proud of her contributions the last several years:
- Introduced and passed legislation strengthening the Code of Ethics, prohibiting sexual harassment and banning officials from using county resources for politics.
- Fighting to save emergency pet care by asking the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the closure of VSES.
- Working with the developer and artists at the Hungerford Building to keep the complex a vital hub for artists.
- Developed a plan to end homelessness with experts and advocates, while working to increase support for social services.
- Obtained funding for small businesses struggling during the pandemic.
- Spearheaded a task force to tackle the digital divide and broadband solutions.
- Introduced and passed legislation strengthening protections for cyclists and relaunched a safe-driving campaign.
- Stopped food delivery apps like GrubHub from listing restaurants without permission, as well as capping predatory fees during Covid shutdowns.
- Led and helped to plan a Covid-19 vaccine neighborhood “festival” with Connected Communities, Common Ground Health and the United Way, which provided incentives and served as a model for other cities.
- Secured free phone calls at the Monroe County Jail, without cost to taxpayers and at a savings for families of incarcerated individuals.
Rachel cares for her constituents and is committed to our community.
- Legislator Barnhart Asks Planning Commission to Support Family Shelter
- Legislature Raids “Safety Net Slush Fund”
- Legislator Barnhart Writes to Thrive Pet Healthcare’s CEO
- Legislator Barnhart Asks FTC to Review Thrive Pet Healthcare
- Legislator Barnhart Questions Security Detail
What Does a County Legislator Do?
Twenty-nine Monroe County legislators make the laws and policies governing the 748,000 people in the county. Legislators are also responsible for approving the county budget. Monroe County performs critical functions in areas including human services, criminal justice, public safety, transportation, economic development and parks. County legislators are citizen-representatives who work in various professions.
Email [email protected].
Text or call 585-210-3246.